Thursday, July 28, 2011

Switching Gears

A lot of good things have happened in the past few months! Last time I posted it was November and Kurt and I were just starting to plan our wedding. After an active few weeks of planning, we were married in Wheaton, IL, Kurt's hometown, right after Christmas on December 29th. We had 80 family members and close friends in attendance and the day was perfect. We had spent Christmas with Kurt's family and my family drove up from Ohio for the wedding. Friends from California, New York City and Detroit even made the trip! We had a beautiful winter wonderland for the event, as we were married in Kurt's parents church by Kurt's dad, a retired pastor. His mom lent me her red wool cape which turned out to be ideal for the snowy backdrop and pictures! We felt blessed to be surrounded by such love and to have the help of Kurt's parents and sister with the planning since it was a destination wedding for us! We only had a couple months to plan but it all came together. Kurt's dad read a prayer last read when Kurt's grandpa, also a pastor, read it at the wedding of Kurt's parents. That will always be a special memory.
The reception was a lot of fun. I especially loved seeing our parents, siblings, nieces and nephews dancing. Kurt and I took two crash course dance lessons right before the wedding and danced to John Legend's "Stay With You." We had a great DJ who had me dancing all night long! Kurt had planned a really special tribute to my mom, who passed away of breast cancer when I was 12. His thoughtfulness and words will always be another special memory. He included my sister and my aunt in the tribute.

We made a week-long stopover in Colorado for our honeymoon. And then returned to California and back to reality.

I had plans to go back to work in the beginning of this year and was happy to be offered my job back at RAPP, the advertising agency that I worked for when I got sick and who held that amazing benefit event for me while I was going through treatment. I started back to work part-time in late February and went full time in early April. It's now been 3 months back at work and sometimes it feels like I never left. But I'm reminded often that the last 2 years weren't just a dream and I'm thankful every day that I'm well enough to work.


In anticipation of going back to work, Kurt and I adopted a little poodle from the shelter by our house as a friend for Piper. We named her Pixel and she makes our crazy Piper look mellow and well-adjusted! She has a lot of energy and many bouts of separation anxiety, but she's a happy little addition to the family. It was touch and go in the beginning, but the two are getting along pretty well now and have moments where they seem to enjoy each other.

That's the update for now. I still have check-ups with my oncologist every month and PETscans every 6 months to make sure that stupid cancer stays away. Kurt and I in the midst of a big undertaking now, that involves 100 miles and two wheels. The title of this blog post is a hint.... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment