Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Catching Up

I've been asked by a few people when the next blog update would be coming and here it is! I'm humbled and somewhat embarrassed to find out that people actually read this little blog of mine and are still interested! Things have calmed down a bit, compared to the last year, that is. If they hadn't then I'd be in the looney bin by now. I'm still not able to go back to work, but I hope to be returning by the end of the summer once I build up my stamina, get off some of my medication and get my doctor's visits down to a couple times a month instead of every week. I still get tired after a busy few days but my recovery time needed is becoming less and less. It's been 7 1/2 months since my stem cell transplant so I now have the immune system of a 7 1/2 month old baby. Actually I think a 7 1/2 month old baby is ahead of me at this point because I'm still not allowed to have any immunizations. I'll have to get all the basics again (measles, mumps, etc.) probably around the one year mark. Soon I'll have to start giving a pint of blood every month to get rid of some of the iron that's built up in my body from the many blood transfusions I've received. Iron is one thing that the body cannot get rid of naturally. How things change! I've come a long way from low red blood cell counts and needing blood transfusions every few weeks.
So, it's been a while since my last entry and the last couple months have been pretty eventful. My recovery is still coming along nicely. I've had a lot of time to reflect on the last few months, which is both therapeutic and frightening. I had some issues with my rejection in my liver and decreased kidney function again, but my doctors were able to control it with increased steroids and anti-rejection drugs. Because of that, my cheeks and chin are making me look a lot like a bloated chipmunk, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's temporary. I just wish my cheeks didn't feel like they're ready to explode! Just one more crazy side effect to add to the long, bizarre list of new things I've experienced over the last year.
Now, where to start.... My friend, Nikki's wedding in Ohio was wonderful. She was a glowing bride and she and her husband sure know how to throw a party! I was honored to be a part of their day. Here's a picture. It was a great interruption to my routine at home in California and a great excuse to have a little fun for the first time in a few months.
After we got back to California those pesky liver and kidney issues came up again, so that's when the doctors increased my medicine and after a few weeks that helped. I've kept busy with hobbies, organizing and sorting through medical records and playing catch-up with a lot of things. I also attended a cancer survivor workshop at UCLA where I learned a lot about how to stay healthy and life after cancer. It's nice to be entering this new "survivorship" phase. Definitely beats the heck out of the "treatment" phase.

Kurt and I are also trying to get some exercise and have started bike riding. I have been having leg and hip pain from the steroid and from leftover muscle/bone damage where the tumor was in my right hip/leg. I feel like the bike riding is helping strengthen my legs and controlling the pain. Though she tries to attack any bike, scooter or skateboard we see on the street, surprisingly Piper (our puppy dog) has a newfound fondness for bike rides too. Here's a picture of Piper and Kurt biking down our street. And a picture of her in the basket after she's decided she needs a rest.


Kurt and I just got home from a trip to Chicago and Ohio to visit our families. Kurt's oldest nephew, Taylor, graduated from high school and we were able to go to his open house and spend time with Kurt's parents, sister's family and brother's family. It was a really nice time and good to see them back in the midwest. Kurt's parents, sister and brother have all been out to California to help and support us during my cancer treatment and recovery. For most of their visits I wasn't feeling that great so it was good to see them at this point in the recovery. I also had slightly longer hair to show off too! I love Kurt's family and feel honored to become an official member of their family soon. If we ever get around to planning a wedding, that is!
We completed the midwestern tour by driving down to see my family in Ohio to go to my family and high school reunions. I have to admit that I wish I was looking and feeling more like myself, but as Kurt kept reminding me, people are just happy to see me and don't care as much as I do or think they might. (Again, what would I do without Kurt to keep me sane!)
We also found time to fit in a Reds game in Cincinnati. They played the Dodgers and we figured out a way to represent my hometown team and our new hometown team... see pic to the left. No bias here. The Dodgers won the game, if you're interested. My Dad, stepmom, sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew also went to the game. It was a nice time and reminded me of how much I used to love going to Reds games when I was growing up in Ohio. It was always such a big deal and special treat!

It was great to catch up with some old friends at my high school reunion. I think we were all taken back to those good ol' days at National Trail High School. As promised, here's a shout out to Michelle, Kristina, Lorie and Nikki! You ladies touched my life early on and are still at it today. I'm extra appreciative to have you in my life now and immensely thankful for the support and thoughtfulness you showed me during the past few months. I count you all among my many blessings and helping hands that got me through and are the reason I'm standing here today. And to hear about your kids, families and how far you've come since high school was inspiring!

We also went to our annual Reed family reunion and were able to see a lot of family that I haven't seen in quite a while. It was a really nice time. Here's a picture of the whole crew. And a picture of Piper and her Aunt Penny, my Uncle Eddie's dog, who was the inspiration for us getting Piper almost 6 years ago.
And now, we're home and I'm resting up. Kurt's back at work and I have a check-in with the doctor tomorrow. Hopefully my blood levels are good and my steroid dosage can keep going down. Gotta get these cheeks down before the chipmunks get jealous.

I hope you're all doing well and have had a good start to the summer! More updates to come!
- Cassie

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cassie,

    Bryce emailed me regarding your update, so of course, I had to read all of your recent blogs. I am so happy that things are on the upswing and you look as great as ever. I still miss you and would love to see you and that special guy someday. As challenging as this journey has been, make no mistake that you will come out of it stronger than you ever imagained. Keep up the good work and you will be back on the fast track sooner than you think.

    Love the dog and your creative talents that are shining through!!

    Hugs,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ginger! I would love to see you again and catch up soon too. Maybe we can rendezvous in New York one day to visit Bryce. I owe him a visit!

    Your friend and "fellow cancer survivor",
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cassie!!!
    Today is my dad's birthday and I am celebrating with him in Germany.
    Again it made me think how much every moment counts and how lucky I have been to be here right now. Your blog is so wonderfully written and I am so happy to hear that everything is going well. Oh yeah, the side effects. Not fun, but what can we do? I still get reminded once in a while of my treatment. But then I think and look back and am grateful of how much better things are right now. And with every step forward you realize the strenght and wisdom you have gained. I truely believe this disease changes us. But for the better.
    Again, I am very happy to hear the good news!!!

    Love,
    imke

    ReplyDelete